We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Raspberry "Patricia" refers to the time-tested, very well-established and highly appreciated by gardeners varieties. This really noteworthy variety was developed by specialists from the Moscow Institute of Horticulture thirty years ago using the parent pair M-102 and Maroseyka. The author of the variety is V.V. Kichina. Almost immediately, the variety became popular both among amateur gardeners and professionals involved in the cultivation of marketable berries for the purpose of further processing or sale.
The high-yielding variety "Patricia" forms a straight and slightly sprawling bush. The standard shoot height does not exceed 1.8-1.9 meters. Shoots have a beige-brown color. Leaflets are light green in color, with slight pubescence, slightly wrinkled, medium in size. After blooming, they acquire a very unusual, reddish-brown tint. The shoots are devoid of thorns, and approximately 18–20 berries with an average weight of 4–14 g are formed on each twig. They have a truncated and conical shape. The surface is bright red, very saturated color, velvety, attractive.
Berries have a very good taste. The pulp is tender, juicy, moderately aromatic, with a small amount of seeds.
The plants are fast-growing, have excellent resistance to many of the most common diseases. In addition, the description given by the originator characterizes Patricia as a frost and drought tolerant variety.
Advantages and disadvantages
Late ripe raspberry "Patricia" is unpretentious and grows well with insufficiently competent care. Fruiting is very long. With good care, the yield of one plant reaches 10-11 kg.
This raspberry variety has not only advantages, but also some disadvantages, given which you can maintain a high level of fruiting:
- berries are prone to infrequent, but severe deformation;
- a significant amount of young raspberry shoots is formed;
- when overripe, the berry may crumble and cannot be transported;
- the overripe berry is often affected by rot;
- tall plant needs regular competent pruning;
- for proper and long-term fruiting it is necessary to use the trellis method of cultivation;
- in the absence of proper care, resistance to diseases and pests can be significantly reduced.
How to plant raspberries
Seedlings are recommended to be purchased in specialized nurseries. Only a high-quality varietal seedling is a guarantee of a healthy, strong and high-yielding plant.
Patricia raspberries must be cultivated according to the recommended technology for growing berry bushes:
- raspberries can be planted in pits or special furrows;
- for planting, humus or compost, granular superphosphate, potassium sulfate or wood ash must be added;
- nitrogen-containing fertilizers are applied every year in the spring at the rate of 15-18 g of urea per square meter of planting;
- phosphorus-potassium fertilizers are applied in the autumn period after a year at the rate of 120 g of superphosphate with the addition of 100 g of potassium sulfate;
- raspberries need a relatively rare, but plentiful watering, stimulating the development of a powerful and healthy root system;
- after watering and top dressing, shallow loosening is carried out, and if desired, you can mulch the soil around the bushes;
- at least three times per season, preventive treatment of bushes with special means is carried out.
Winter frosts to temperatures of 28-30 ° С by plants of this variety are easily tolerated. At lower temperatures in winter, it is recommended to bend raspberry shoots under the snow.
We also offer you to get acquainted with the varietal characteristics of raspberries "Kuzmina News".
In Russia, large-fruited raspberries are constantly popular among gardeners and are in demand for home gardening. Raspberry "Patricia" forms a very attractive and beautiful berries of a market type. Reviews about the variety characterize the berries as perfectly retaining their shape. They are not crushed both during the collection process and during transportation over short distances.
The variety is suitable for storage and can be used both fresh and for home harvesting. It compares favorably with many large-fruited varieties with a wonderful dessert flavor and a very rich aroma characteristic of a berry culture.
Raspberry: a selection of varieties
According to gardeners, the variety is characterized by resistance to anthracnose, a low risk of didimella and other most common diseases. However, the most abundant fruiting can be expected only in the third year after planting, and in the first two years, the berry formation is not too plentiful.